Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sausage and Law

It occurs to me that there are many things you don't want to see made - sausage and law and other things like babies.  I wonder if sharing a creative process is a good idea.

If you caught "Work of Art", it was certainly interesting and followed the same sort of format as Project Runway, which I also find strangely compelling.  I wonder if that format would even work with music.  Music takes time, and the process is not visual.  I don't think it would make good TV.

Sometimes it's better we don't know.  I remember watching Moby on television, during some sort of special about him (I wish I could find it), essentially composing one of his song in a matter of about 30 seconds or so.  We all knew this (at least we suspected), but watching it was surreal.  I suppose if you work smart, you don't have to work hard?

Perhaps we need to just shed the concept of virtuosity from composing anyway - the vision of a tortured artist working until two in the morning and agonizing over every detail - the genius who hears orchestras in hir head, waking up in the middle of the night and scribbling furiously to stave off the inevitable loss of hir muse.

I suppose that sells more music than 30 seconds with a synth and a sequencer.

No comments:

Post a Comment